Friday, July 12, 2013

DIY yin yang nails




Throwback Thursday! This DIY was posted practically a year ago on backtorealitea and I figured, why not bring it back? It's interesting to see how my writing and style has progressed over a year.



Sorry for a delay in posts! I've recently fallen ill after Warped Tour on Sunday, hence my laziness. My days have been comprised mostly of watching TV, sleeping and munching every few hours. After feeling completely useless today, I decided to paint my nails. I thought, why not blog about them? And so, with my iPhone and nail polish in hand, I present to you my yin yang nails.



1. Gather your supplies!

  • Two colours of nail polish
    • Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Wet Cement (37)
    • Wet n Wild Fast Dry in Ebony Hates Chris (229C)
      Optional:
  • Angled thin nail art brush
  • Brush to fill in
  • Dotting tool (not shown)
2. Paint one - two coats of the lighter colour.
      Not shown: I applied a layer of base coat to protect my nails from 
      discoloration and to keep them healthy!

3. With the darker colour and the angled brush, draw a squiggly 'S' shape.
      Use a light hand!
      Don't worry if they aren't perfect! I rushed a bit during this step 
      but they still ended up looking nice.

4. Fix up the 'S' so that your nail resembles a yin yang sign.
      Go back with both the lighter and the darker colour to fix the squiggle. 
      Make sure your nail dries completely to avoid smudging the coat of the 
      lighter colour.

5. Fill in one half of the nail with the darker colour.
     I used the filler brush to fill in the black, making it easier to paint 
     within the line. You could even skip step 3 and 4 completely and use the filler
     brush to create a squiggly whilst filling in one half.

6. With the dotting tool or the brush tip, create two dots in the opposite halves 
(dark dot on light half and vice versa)
      If you're using the brush from the bottle, make sure you don't put too 
      much paint on it! The paint will drip and create a big, thick dot that will 
      smudge and take a while to dry.

Once it dries, finish it off with a top coat and you're done! Time to show off your nails to the world. If you try this out, send me some photos, link them in the comments or tag me on instagram! (@izzynguyenphuoc).









3 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! It looks absolutely amazing!! I can't wait to try it :)
    Great blog!
    xoxoxo,
    Alona

    http://www.fashionfreshman.com/

    PS- I tried following you, but couldn't find a follow button... :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops! Just fixed it. It's now in the sidebar :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so awesome, i need to get into the whole DIY nails thing. thanks for this post, its inspired a new beauty regime. Following your blog, maybe you could check out ours? :) x

    www.smallpursebigwardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading this article!
Leave your link and I'll be sure to check out your blog.
Cheers! xx